Swedish Meatballs Mashed Potatoes
Swedish Meatballs Mashed Potatoes No trip to Ikea required.Get the recipe from lovefoodrecipes
PREP TIME:0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME:0 HOURS 40 MINS
FOR THE MASHED POTATOES
1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE SWEDISH MEATBALLS
1 slice white bread, crumbled
1/4 c. whole milk
3 tbsp. butter, divided
1/2 c. finely diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. lean ground pork
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. warm beef broth
2 tbsp. heavy cream, optional
Freshly sliced chives, for garnish
- Make the mashed potatoes: Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then continue to boil until potatoes are fork tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Add butter and cream to potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Using a potato masher or hand mixer, mash until you reach desired consistency. Adjust seasonings if necessary, then cover and set aside.
- Make the meatballs: Preheat oven to 375º and line a baking sheet with parchment. Combine bread and milk in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined. Set aside. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add to bread and milk mixture. Let cool, 5 minutes.
- Add beef, pork, egg, salt, pepper, allspice, and nutmeg to the mixing bowl and thoroughly mix together. Form 2 teaspoon-sized meatballs and place onto prepared baking sheet, 1/2″ apart, then bake until just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Make the gravy: In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining tablespoon butter and whisk in flour. Continue to whisk 1 minute, then slowly whisk in beef broth, making sure to whisk any lumps. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until gravy is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and stir in cream, if using. Add meatballs to the gravy and toss together.
- Spread mashed potatoes on a large platter and top with meatballs. Ladle more gravy over the top and garnish with chives.